I was surprised at some of the food on this list! These items have each been given a bad reputation for being unhealthy, when in fact it turns out to be the exact opposite!
Check it out!
- Canned Veggies – Due to the high sodium in most canned goods, people tend to steer away. While nothing compares to fresh vegetables, low sodium varieties of canned goods do exist! Canned food is cheaper, and also lasts much longer!
- Red Meat- Only certain kinds of red meat should be avoided, such as those with high fat content. However, extra lean sirloin is low in fat and high in vitamins, iron and protein!
- Potatoes- While high in carbs, it is also high in many important vitamins and nutrients. Try not to eat potatoes fried, but rather baked!
- Avocados- Although the fat content is high, this is a different kind of fat- monounsaturated fat which is essential for your body!
- Dried Fruit- although many are processed with high amounts of sugar, there are brands that offer their dried fruit free of added sugars. When eating dried fruit, drink with a glass of water and you will be eating more than your recommended serving!
- Pizza- When properly prepared pizza can be full of benefits! Use whole-wheat crust, and load it up with veggies and organic tomato sauce, then top it off with slices of avocado! Yum!
- Bananas- Known for being fattening and high in sugar, which is completely wrong! Bananas have 0 grams of fat, are 105 calories and relatively low in sugar!
- Eggs- More so Egg yolks are known for causing high cholesterol, however according to Harvard, researchers found an egg a day did much more good than harm for your body!
- Shrimp- Another notably high cholesterol food, but an also very rich in protein food as well! Eaten grilled, or sautéed can be a great choice in eating healthy and lowering fat intake.
- Iceberg Lettuce- Known for it’s “lack” of nutrients, and being a pointless food. In fact, due to its high water content, iceberg lettuce keeps you feeling full for longer and is extremely low in calories!
I knew the health benefits for a few items above, but not all! Looks like I will be eating more pizza! ☺